Background | Functions | Membership | Previous Annual reports | 2013 Meetings
2012 Annual Report
The ACOS Annual Report: 2012 was presented to the Minister of Statistics by Mr Tom Lambie on Wednesday, 27 March 2013.
The Advisory Committee on Official Statistics (ACOS) was established in 2005 following a review of official statistics.
The committee members represent the wider statistical community, including users, producers, and suppliers of official statistics.
Our role is to advise the Minister of Statistics and government on the quality, relevance, and value for money of the statistics produced across the OSS. In particular, this advice relates to seeking opportunities to fill gaps, reprioritise investment, remove duplication and inefficiency, improve standards, and increase the use of statistics. Our work helps to assure the integrity and effectiveness of New Zealand’s official statistics and the OSS.
As set out in our terms of reference, we present an annual report to the Minister of Statistics and the Government on the health of the OSS.
ACOS Terms of reference and position description (PDF, 232KB)
back to top
A Chair and up to 12 members are appointed by the Minister of Statistics, along with the Government Statistician (Geoff Bascand) as a permanent ex-officio member. Members have a mix of relevant skills and experience in the public or private sector. The Chair is appointed for a term of up to five years while members’ terms last for three years after which they are either reappointed or replaced by a new member. On 2 June 2011, the new appointments and reappointments to the committee were announced by the Minister and are as shown.
Current Membership (as at August 2013)
- Mr Tom Lambie (Chair) Farmer; Chancellor Lincoln University; Commissioner for Environment Canterbury
- Mr Murray Bain, Independent consultant
- Dr Peter Bushnell, Director, Bushnell Ltd
- Mr Leonard (Len) Cook, President, Institute of Public Administration New Zealand
- Ms Ria Earp ,Chief Executive, Mary Potter Hospice
- Ms Kim Hill, Broadcaster and journalist, Radio New Zealand
- Professor Natalie Jackson, Director of the National Institute of Demographic and Economic Analysis and Professor of Demography, University of Waikato
- Professor Alan Lee, Department of Statistics, Auckland University
- Dr John McDermott, Assistant Governor and Head of Economics, Reserve Bank of New Zealand
- Mr Andrew Newman, Chief Executive, Hawke’s Bay Regional Council
- Ms Paula Rebstock, Chair, Accident Compensation Corporation; Chair of the Work and Income Board; Deputy Chair of the New Zealand Railways Corporation; Chair of the Insurance and Savings Ombudsman Commission
- Ms Liz MacPherson, Chief Executive and Government Statistician, Statistics NZ (ex-officio)
back to top
Previous ACOS annual reports
The content of the attached files is in Adobe Acrobat Reader format. If you do not have the Adobe Acrobat Reader you may download the reader to view or print this file.
The ACOS Annual Report 2011 was presented to the Minister of Statistics by Mr Tom Lambie on Wednesday, 4 April 2012.
ACOS Annual Report 2011
The ACOS Annual Report 2010 was presented to the Minister of Statistics by the Hon David Caygill on Wednesday, 16 February 2011.
ACOS Annual Report 2010
The ACOS Annual Report 2009 was presented to the Minister of Statistics by the Hon David Caygill on Thursday, 18 February 2010.
ACOS Annual Report 2009
The ACOS Annual Report 2008 was presented to the Minister of Statistics by the Hon David Caygill on Wednesday, 25 February 2009.
ACOS Annual Report 2008 (PDF, 283KB)
The ACOS Annual Report 2007 was presented to the Minister of Statistics by the Hon David Caygill on Thursday, 14 February 2008.
ACOS annual report 2007 (PDF, 191KB)
The inaugural ACOS annual report was presented to the Minister of Statistics by the Hon David Caygill in October 2006.
ACOS annual report 2006 (PDF, 119KB)
Below are the scheduled meeting dates for the committee in 2013. These dates are subject to change.
- 13 February 2013
- 1 May 2013
- 14August 2013
- 6 November 2013