The Official Statistics Postgraduate Paper is aimed at graduates in the public sector and is taught jointly by several universities. It provides an overview of the key areas of official statistics. Topics covered include:
- data sources (surveys and administrative data)
- ethical and legal frameworks
- demography, health, social, and economic data
- data visualisation, including spatial data
- data matching and integration
- national accounts.
- Graduates will be knowledgeable about key aspects of official statistics.
- Graduates will be more prepared for public sector careers.
The course can be credited towards an honours, postgraduate diploma, or masters qualification.
Lectures are taught by video conference by a range of expert practitioners. They are held weekly on Wednesdays from 4 to 6 pm in semester two (July - November).
The course is assessed by five assignments. There is no final examination.
Students enroll for the paper through their university and should contact their university for details. The following course code links are provided as a reference.