The Survey Notification System (SNS) allows producers of official statistics to notify Statistics New Zealand of surveys and statistics funded or partly funded by their agency.
All statistics produced by government agencies are official statistics.
Who can access the Survey Notification System and what do they use it for?
- Government departments have access to the SNS and as a result are able to better manage respondent load (the imposition on suppliers providing information) and prevent the duplication of surveys and survey questions.
- The SNS is primarily for surveys. It provides a register of all surveys undertaken by government agencies as well as a listing of all available statistics.
- The SNS can also be used to reference outputs of other government-funded statistics, such as reports, research papers, fact sheets or texts that are produced using administrative or derived statistics.
- The information contained in the SNS is also used to report on the extent and coverage of survey activity across the whole of government.
What is the relationship between the SNS and Statisphere?
Statisphere is the public face of the SNS. Almost all the entries in the SNS are published on Statisphere so that everyone can access a full list of statistics produced by government and can search the list by subject matter or by the name of the producing department. Wherever possible, hyperlinks take you to the data, or to the report or fact sheet that is referred to in the list.
How can producers of official statistics help?
Producers of official statistics should notify Statistics New Zealand of:
- all surveys conducted (whether funded or partly funded) by their agency.
This includes all government-funded surveys and censuses. It could include client satisfaction, market research, statistical and other research surveys that are released internally or externally. Note there are mechanisms to protect the confidentiality of this information where appropriate and;
- any other statistical output produced by their agency. This includes government-funded reports or fact sheets based on administrative statistics that are published and released either internally or externally.
OSS Notification form (Word, 197KB)
Contact the Official Statistics System Bureau Service if you have any queries.